International Friendship Day 2021 is on Friday 30, July 2021. Happy Friendship Day or Friend’s Day is celebrated every year by the United Nations (UN) on the 30th of July, while some countries celebrate this day as National Friendship Day on some other dates.
International Day of Friendship is a United Nations(UN) observance and not a public holiday. Happy Friendship Day is a day for celebrating friendship regardless of race, color or religion.
National Best Friend Day is celebrated on June 8 in the United States. The day, as the name suggests, is meant to express gratitude and love for your biggest support system, your best friend.
It is believed that other days like Friendship Day and Women’s Friendship Day originated from the idea of celebrating the National Best Friend Day. Under normal circumstances, various brands organize fun activities and games for this occasion. However, this year all the celebrations will happen online as people are maintaining social distancing to fight the novel coronavirus.
People have already been sharing photos and fun stories and memories with their best friends using the hashtag #NationalBestFriendDay. Today is the day when you should specifically let your best friend know how important he or she is in your life and how much you love them.
First Friendship Day
The first World Friendship Day was celebrated on 30th July 1958 in the North American state ‘Paraguay’, by an international civil organization named World Friendship Crusade.
Theme of International Friendship Day 2021
- “Sharing the human spirit through friendship”
- is the theme of World Friendship Day.
- Friendship is a basic tool to make the world people prosperous and peaceful. This is also a key source to maintain social harmony and mildness among societies. By developing the trends of friendship among people, societies and countries we can achieve a better level of stability, solidarity and peace.
- This theme reveals the one aspect of friendship that by sharing emotions of happiness and serenity you can conquer the hearts of others.
Background and History of International Friendship Day
Friendship Day was first proposed in 1958 in a North American state ‘Paraguay’ as the ‘International Friendship Day.
In 2011 UN General Assembly declared 30 July as an official ‘International Friendship Day. The UN proposed that friendship can inspire peace efforts between peoples, countries, cultures and individuals and can link up the communities.
International Day of Friendship is based on the importance of friendship as a noble and valuable sentiment in the lives of human beings across the world.
The UN emphasis on involving young people, as future leaders, in community activities that include different cultures and promote international understanding and respect for diversity.
International Friendship Day is also intended to support the Culture of Peace and Non-Violence for the Children of the World.
Now-a-days Friendship Day is a popular celebration in several countries across the globe. In certain countries, the celebrations of this day occur on some other dates, as in Paraguay on 30th July, In Argentina and Brazil on 20th July. India, the United Arab Emirates and Bangladesh celebrate Friendship Day on the first Sunday of August, and the United States of America(USA) on February 15.
Activities of International Friendship Day
Friendship day is a great opportunity to spend time with friends.
Take the time schedule for some fun activities with your friends, it can be something simple such as,
- Going for hiking
- Visiting a park
- Going to beach
- Having lunch or dinner at some restaurant
- You can also enjoy camping at a nearest camping spot along with friends
- Arrange a party for your old friends and recall the sweet memories.
- Make a phone call to your friends, who have not met you since long.
Facts of International Friendship Day
- The first World Friendship Day was celebrated on 30, July 1958 in the North American state ‘Paraguay’.
- In 2011 UN General Assembly declared 30 July as an official International Friendship Day.
- The UN proposed that friendship can inspire peace efforts between peoples, countries, cultures and individuals and can link up the communities.
- The utmost reality of this Day is to celebrate friendship regardless of race, color or religion.
- Friendship Day provides an opportunity to resolve the issues between individual people, and countries.
Gifts of Friendship Day
The exchange of Friendship Day gifts like cards, flowers, and wrist bands is a popular tradition on this occasion. A small but thoughtful gift can make an even greater impact than one that costs a lot of money. Some ideas on what you could give include:
- A cherished picture of the two of you in a frame is an especially good gift if your friendship has some history,
- Friendship bracelets for adults and kids alike.
- Friendship cards are easily available in market, but a handmade card is more charming on this day.
- A single flower or a bouquet of flowers is a very sweet gift on this day.
Friendship Day Hashtags
Speech for Friendship Day
World Friendship Day is a day to celebrate our friends. Those who have been there for us through good times, tough times and most importantly those we can rely on.
As we grow older, some friendships naturally become colorless, some have an expiration date, others become toxic and we have to let them go. Either way, with the passage of time, the number of your friends is bound to shrink.
This friendship day evaluates those legends who have stood by us and stuck around, they should truly be appreciated and honored in our life. We should make them feel extra special with some touchy gifts.
Quotes of Friendship Day
“If you have two friends, you’re lucky, If you have one good friend, you’re more than lucky.”
- S.E. Hinton
“If you have good friend, no matter how much life is sucking, he can make you laugh.”
- P.C. Cast Kristin Cast
“True friends are always together in spirit. (Anne Shirley)”
“The best mirror is an old friend.”
- George Herbert
“Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit.”
― “A friend to all, is friend to none.”
“Friends are the family you choose.”
- Jess C Scott,
“However rare true love may be, it is less so than true friendship.”
- Albert einstein
“Be slow to fall into friendship, but when you are in, continue firm and constant.”
“In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends.”
- John Churton Collins
“A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.”
- Im Morrison
“True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it is lost.”
- Charles Caleb Colton
“Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.”
- Khalil Gibran
“There is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow-creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort.”
- Charlotte Brontë
“True friends are like diamonds – beautiful, bright, valuable, and always in style.”
- Nicole Richie
“Making a hundred friends is not a miracle, the miracle is to make a single friend, who will stand by your side even when hundreds are against you.”
- Jhon Spence
“I love the friends, whom have not seen for days, weeks or months and the bond is still as strong as ever.”_ By Unknown
“Finding friends with the same mental disorder is priceless.”_ By Unknown
“Friends are made by heart, not by the color.” _ By Unknown