Haryana’s Minister of State for Women and Child Development, Smt. Kamlesh Dhanda has said that society will be able to understand the significance of International Women’s Day…
- Chandigarh, February 26: Haryana’s Minister of State for Women and Child Development, Smt. Kamlesh Dhanda has said that society will be able to understand the significance of International Women’s Day, which is observed on March 8 every year, only when it is celebrated with full enthusiasm by everyone.
- Smt. Dhanda was presiding over the meeting of the State-Level Selection Committee here today to shortlist women and girls who have achieved significant targets in various fields in preparation of International Women’s Day.
- It was informed during the meeting that the girls are awarded in various categories like sports, cultural work, social work, media and literature, bravery, education, and Best Child Care Institute. Cash and citation of Rs 11,000 each are given as prizes. Special competitions including on-the-spot painting, dance and music competitions are conducted in various institutions in the age group of 4 to 6 years, 6 to 10 years, 10 to 14 years and 14 to 18 years for which three prizes are also given in each category. Prizes of Rs 5,100, Rs 2,100, and Rs 1,100 are given for the first, second and third place respectively.
- It was also informed in the meeting that all the programme officers have been directed to organize women empowerment programmes at the district, block, and village levels. It was also informed during the meeting that the Jagannath Bal Ashram, Rohtak has done a commendable job, which falls under the Best Child Care Institute category, of helping a child named Chandni, who hails from Jharkhand, to return to her native state.
- Smt. Dhanda said that not only has economic development taken place in the state but social indicators have also shown improvement in the condition of women. The State Government is committed to the socio-economic development of women and during the last few years several schemes have been launched for their empowerment and development, she added. She said that it has to be ensured that these schemes are implemented earnestly.
- Director-General, Women and Child Development Department, Smt. Renu S Phulia and Additional Director (Administration), Information, Public Relations, and Language Department, Smt. Varsha Khangwal were also present during the meeting.